The History of the Dinuba Chamber of Commerce
In the early 1900's the Board of Trade was started. It was a committee made up of prominent citizens that looked out over the development of the Alta District. One of the major projects they worked on was getting railroad service to Dinuba. The railroad was a key element in the development of Dinuba. They worked with Sanger and Reedley Boards of Trade to change the route of the Southern Pacific overland train running to Visalia to come up the line through Sanger, Reedley and Dinuba and to get a sign for Dinuba posted at the Fresno Station. They also worked on getting the first fire engines in place.
In 1912, the Board of Trade made plans for a permanent organization, changing their name to the Chamber of Commerce. By-laws were written by the secretary, Harry Hurst, who was employed as the permanent secretary of the Chamber of Commerce and his salary was $75 per month. He had secured a desk and opened a temporary office across for the Dinuba Sentinel (newspaper) office which he shared with F. H. Wilson. He got right to work writing and sending out hundreds of circulars and letter to inquiring and prospective settlers. It is no surprise that he also had plans for a building to house the newly formed chamber placing it right next to the railroad depot. There an attractive building would parallel the tracks, visible from incoming trains, placed strategically to meet and greet all who would visit this fine city. In 1923 that building would become a reality starting a long tradition of the Dinuba Chamber of Commerce being the holders of the keys, welcoming, guiding and helping all who come to this fine city.
Dinuba Chamber Of Commerce
210 North L Street
Dinuba, CA 93618